The Choices We Make At Work
Did you know that March is National Nutrition Month? You may already know, but many of your employees aren’t aware of this monthly designation. Start by sharing the importance of nutrition in their daily lives to enhance quality of life.
Many people find the grind of balancing work, kids, pets, household chores and life makes planning meals that are healthy and nutritious the last item on our daily to do list. What they may not realize is eating healthy can improve mood, increase energy, and help them to ensure they get through the day feeling good.
So what can you do to make it easier for employees to make healthier eating choices at work?
1- If you have a cafeteria make sure they offer balanced meals with low calorie foods, such as fresh fruits and vegetables, low-fat dairy options like yogurt, milk and cheese, lean proteins and whole grains.
2- Look at what options are offered in vending machines? Think about replacing candy bars, chips, and soda with healthier options like protein bars, granola, mixed nuts and low sugar drinks.
3- Research local organic fruit and vegetable services that deliver to the office.
4- Encourage employees to take their lunch break.
Here are a few ideas you can implement in your office to help encourage healthier eating at home:
- Offer easy to make recipes from resources such as Choosemyplate.org.
- Set up a monthly potluck lunch in the office where each employee can share recipes. Have one person collect all the recipes and then consolidate and make copies for everyone.
- Invite a nutritionist or even a chef to help provide easy to prepare ideas.
- Create a challenge for a monthly prize for the best recipes of the month.
- If you have a healthy grocery store chain in your area ask for coupons to healthier food selections and if they offer cooking demos.
CLICK ON THE IMAGE BELOW TO DOWNLOAD A FREE EAT TO WIN POSTER FOR YOUR WORKPLACE